Who We Are
The Maine Transit Association (MTA) is the voice of Maine’s public transportation community. We are a professional association providing leadership, resources, support, and technical assistance to transit agencies throughout Maine. The quality of transportation service provided to Maine people is enhanced by the efforts of the Maine Transit Association (MTA). In the past year, MTA members provided 7.3 million trips totaling over 60 million miles of service.
Who takes those trips?
- An elderly person in Washington County who needs to get to dialysis.
- A student at the University of Maine traveling to an off-campus job in Bangor.
- A person with disabilities in Avon going to the grocery store in Farmington.
- An island resident getting from home to the mainland.
- A commuter traveling from Biddeford to Portland on the ZOOM Express Bus, saving money and fuel.
- A tourist exploring Mount Desert Island.
The members of the MTA are Maine’s regional transportation providers, regional planning agencies, city bus operators, a ferry operator (Casco Bay Lines), the “Explorer” systems serving tourist regions around the state, and commuter bus and carpool services.
On this website you will find links to all of our members, information on the kind of services we offer and the benefits we provide to riders. If you need help, please contact the member serving your town!
Our Policy Paper (PDF) provides additional information on MTA members, services, and the issues that impact us. This document requires a PDF reader – download Adobe Reader here.